Thursday, May 10, 2012

Meet the Golden Scroll Winner



"AND THE WINNER IS...." ( Zuka 2012). from NEN316.tv on Vimeo.

Below is the abridged version of the interview with Ema for those unable to download the video. Note the question and responses that follow are paraphrased.

  Who are you?

My name is Ema Kawooya, a student at  Kampala University Film School and I am an aspiring professional filmmaker equally adept at script writing as I am with editing and directing.

 Where does your passion for film come from?


Ever since I can remember, I have loved movies and have always been fascinated by how they are made.

Tell us about the film you made....

It is called Just Roll It and I directed it. It is about everyday life in Kampala and in particular that staple food of the inner city dweller, the chapati egg roll better known as Rolex. 


Interesting choice of subject.....

Amidst the hustle and bustle of everyday life, certain things go unnoticed and yet they have come to define the way of life here.The Rolex is but one such example.

How did you get it made?

It was a school project and the University made sure I  had everything I needed to make it happen.

Why is it a documentary?

I majored in documentary film making  at film school.   

How did you learn about ZUKA?

On the internet.

What was it like to win?

Surprised and overjoyed all at once.

What next?

I am working on a documentary about funeral rites among Baganda, a  tribe in Uganda. This project is funded by the grant from ZUKA and VefJo.ev.    

What role do you play in the bigger picture that is the Uganda film industry?

I am establishing myself in a nascent industry, looking to gain then exploit my first mover advantage.

   


No comments:

Post a Comment